Step-by-Step Guide to Obtaining a Marriage Visa 

A Green Card for Marriage is an immigrant visa that allows you to live and work in the United States. It is open to the spouse of a U.S. citizen or Green Card holder. A Marriage Green Card application takes 9-38 months and tends to cost around $1,400-1,960. You can apply for a Marriage Green Card from within or outside the United States. Talk to an immigration lawyer in NY to learn more. 

What is a Marriage Green Card? 

A Marriage Green Card enables you to reside and work in the United States indefinitely. It is a type of immigrant visa issued by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), and it is the first step toward becoming a citizen of the United States. A marriage Green Card is valid for a limited time before it must be renewed. If you have been married for more than two years before applying, you may be eligible for the IR1 Green Card, which is valid for ten years. 

However, if you have been married for less than two years at the time you apply, you will be issued a CR1, also known as a “Conditional Green Card.” This is valid for two years before you must renew it in order to obtain a 10-year Green Card. 

Are you eligible for a Marriage Green Card? 

To be eligible for a Green Card through marriage, you must demonstrate four things to USCIS:

  • Your marriage is legally valid.
  • You are married to a U.S. citizen or a lawful permanent resident of the United States.
  • I am married to a U.S. citizen.
  • Married to a Permanent Legal Resident.
  • Your marriage is legal.
  • You are not married to anyone else.

How do you apply for a Marriage Green Card?

The application process for a Marriage Green Card is as follows:

  1. Form I-130 and supporting documentation must be submitted.
  2. Fill out your Green Card application (Form I-485 or Form DS-260)
  3. Attend your Green Card Interview and be granted your Green Card.

How long does it take to get a Marriage Green Card? 

The length of the process is determined by whether you are already in the United States and whether you are married to a U.S. citizen or a Green Cardholder. Because it can take some time, many people begin preparing their forms with their fiance up to 90 days before their wedding. 

Should you work with a lawyer to get a Marriage Green Card? 

An experienced immigration attorney has a lot of knowledge and experience regarding immigration laws. A good attorney can help you answer any questions you may have regarding immigration.