Dab rigs are an integral part of every marijuana consumer’s collection. They come in various sizes, designs, and shapes. As a fact, they are one of the most popular and fastest-growing cannabis niches in the United States.
The most popular of them are the large bongs with an attached dab on the top. In this post, we will provide a detailed history of dab rigs, covering their origin, growth, and how they became a big part of the American culture.
The Origin of Dab Rigs: Where did Dab Rigs originate from?
There are different claims as to where dab rigs originated from. Some claim that they were first introduced by Chinese workers at a railroad, while others opine that they came from Vietnam. Some reports have also suggested that the first piece was created by an American inventor during the restriction on smoking moonshine.
While there are divergent views on the origin of dab rigs, one thing everyone can agree on is that they are not new. They have been around for more than a century. In the next sections, we will trace the history of dab rigs to the 20s and see how they have grown to become a big part of the smoking culture in America and the world.
Dab Rigs of the 20sThe 1920s are known for smoking oil and wax out of light bulbs. Stoners around this time use these makeshift rigs to get a good dose of their favorite cannabis products. They sometimes insert the rigs into bulb sockets to heat the cannabis substance before dabbing.
Some of the paraphernalia they had back then included elaborate glass setups with pumps, tubes, and flames for heating the bulbs.
- Dab Rigs of the 60s and 70s
Although real dabs were in existence before the 60s, their popularity soared about that time. Some cannabis enthusiasts believe that dabbing started properly in the 1960s. It was during this period that water bongs became popular. With this, stoners can have deeper inhalation of vapor and smoke through a bigger chamber.
During this time, glass bowls also became a thing and were added to bongs and pipes. Small oil rigs with a glass tube and attached bowl were the choice of other smokers. The 1960s marked the beginning of heating oil or wax on frying pans, drums, and other metal materials.
- Dab Rigs of the 80s and 90s
The 80s marked another landmark in the popularity of dabbing. It was at this time that dabs began to gain more popularity with the introduction of borosilicate glass and quartz. These materials were novel and exceptionally durable, which guaranteed long-lasting pipes and easy cleaning. Although dabbing became a bigger aspect of marijuana culture during this period, dab rigs were still not very common.
- Dab Rigs of the 2000s
The 2000s ushered in a new glory for dab rigs. While they have been around for decades, the 2000s was the tie they gained heavy traction, thanks to the invention of powerful titanium nails. These products were more durable than other metals for heating oils and wax. It was during this period that they became popular among stoners and they used it in setting up their dabs.
- Contemporary Dab Rigs
Dabs have become a staple in the world of cannabis. They come in different designs, shapes, and sizes. They are mostly recognized by their metal dish or nail for heating oil or wax. Many stoners prefer using e-nail or torch for heating dabs, while others use induction heating or electricity for the same purpose.
As mentioned, dab rigs come in different shapes and sizes and while quality rigs are available at pocket-friendly prices, artisans are creating more intricate and complex designs with high price tags.
What are the Types of Dab Rigs Available Today?
Dab rigs come in several designs and sizes. Some of the most popular options are the traditional rigs with a glass tube and a nail attachment at the top. There are basically five primary types of dab rigs. They are:
- Mini Rigs: These are a smaller version and come a little under seven inches tall. They are made with thick borosilicate glass but some come in silicone materials. Mini dab rigs pack a huge hit without compromising convenience and smoothness. These devices are great for people looking for variety and convenience.
- Glass Dab Rigs: These are the traditional rigs and they come in different sizes and shapes. They can range from six inches to 12 inches tall. They are made with borosilicate glass and are crafted to be more heat resistant and durable. Glass dab rigs are best for stoners just getting started with dabbing.
- Silicone Dab Rigs: These are regarded as the most convenient rig type. They are also the most affordable. Designed to function with quartz accessories and glass, silicone dab rigs are durable, safe to use, and dishwasher safe. They are great for dabbers interesting in buying easy-to-clean, long-lasting, and portable rigs.
- E-Rigs: Also called electronic dab rigs, these devices are designed to be portable and seamless to use. They can be taken apart to fit into a carrier kit or your pocket. E-rigs are designed for powerful temperature control and they come with rechargeable batteries for easy and fast heat-up with minimal mess.
- Recycler Rigs: Many stoners will tell you that recycler rigs are the smoothest device for smoking dabs. They got their name from their special designs that enable them to recycle smoke severally through the tubes and percolators before it gets to your mouth. You of course have to have a dab banger for your rig set up.
Recycler rigs have stunning designs and are more expensive compared to regular rigs. These devices are great for individuals looking for durable and custom-designed dab rigs that they can show off.
Each of these has its unique features that alter the smoking experience slightly. The truth is that no one dab rig setup is better than the other and it all depends on the preference of the smoker. Therefore, when choosing a dab rig, you should consider the best type that fits your needs.